The Shooters Party and the Liberals have changed the laws to dramatically increase the number of businesses voting in City of Sydney elections. They think most businesses will automatically vote Liberal, but we’re not sure.
We’ve heard from a lot of business people, from big corporations right through to early stage start-ups, who say they appreciate the Clover Moore team making the city a better place to work, live and do business.
If you’re one of these businesses or you own land you rent out to a business, or you know someone who does, here's how to make sure you’re enrolled to vote in the upcoming council elections. But make sure you do it this week - the deadline is 14 July 2016.
Who is Eligible?
Businesses can register to vote if:
- They own rateable land in the City of Sydney, or
- They occupy rateable land in the City of Sydney and pay more than $4,000 for the right to do so - for example, through a commercial lease, a license agreement, fees or membership of a co-working space.
If the business is a corporation, it will be represented on the roll by up to two eligible directors or a director and company secretary. Partnerships can be represented by up to two eligible partners.
To register you will need to be on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll and not already eligible to vote in City of Sydney elections (if you live in the City of Sydney you should already be able to vote).
How to Enrol
It’s easy for business owners to find out whether they are eligible to vote and enrol if so.
- Go to the City of Sydney’s registration page for non-residential voters.
- Scroll down to the green “Check your eligibility” button.
- Answer the short questions.
- If you are eligible, you will automatically find out what forms you need to fill – download these, print and fill in.
- You will need to include information about the property you own or occupy – if you don’t have the information required (details about the building you rent out or occupy) fill in as much as you can.
- You will also need to include documents which show that you are eligible (address of the property you occupy, how long you have occupied it and the amount paid to occupy it.)
- Post your completed documents free of charge to City of Sydney, Reply Paid 88298, Locked Bag 8086, Kingsgrove NSW 2208 before 14 July 2016.
If you have any questions
- Visit the City's registration page: cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/register
- Phone: the Council Elections Customer Service Team on 1800 101 667
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave your details here and we will keep you informed