Next Saturday, 20 August I will join Woolloomooloo residents to the celebrate the improvements to Bourke Street and Walla Mulla Parks, after welcoming Glebe residents to a community consultation about possible improvements to St James Park.
The Woolloomooloo celebrations begin in Bourke Street Park, 109 - 115 Bourke Street before proceeding to Walla Mulla Park on the corner of Cathedral and Forbes Streets. The celebrations will include entertainment, plant giveaways, a sausage sizzle and refreshments and an opportunity to learn how to grow your own community garden.
The parks have new lights, improved visibility and sun, new furniture, exercise equipment and better paving. A purpose-built secure space for a future community garden has also been created at Bourke Street Park.
The St James Park Community consultation, in St James Park in Wolley Street, Glebe, is a follow up to a consultation day held in February to gather people's ideas on how to improve the park. A draft concept design plan, prepared in response to issues identified by the community, seeks to improve the park by:
- Increasing grass areas to provide more space for recreation;
- Installing new equipment and nature play elements for children;
- Creating planting areas for native bird habitat; and
- Improving connections between John Street and St James Reserve park areas.
The consultation will help residents provide feedback on the draft designs.
- St James Park Glebe Community Consultation: Saturday 20 August, 11.00am to 1.00pm St James Park, corner John and Woolley Streets, Glebe. I will open the consultation at 11am.