There have been some important wins for Sydneysiders this week.
My Private Members Bill, making backpacker vehicle sales illegal on problem streets, was passed by the Legislative Assembly and will now go to the Legislative Council. This new law supports local residents and businesses who have been despairing about their local streets turned into a car sales yard and camping site. The law complements council's decision to create a new backpacker car market and upgrade landscaping in Victoria St. This work shows my dual roles - as Member and Mayor - can be very effective for our City.
Another victory this week with a court deciding ratepayers are owed $8 million in royalties in the Streetscape matter. The court found that Streetscape breached its obligations to the Council and ordered damages be paid.
I also had the chance to welcome the return of our new striped deckchairs, part of our furniture being rolled out in Barrack Street, Wynyard and Sydney Square, next to Town Hall. The chairs encourage people to take time out, mingle and relax in underused public spaces. We hope to see some of you enjoying them in the coming months.
I presented our bold plans to make Sydney more sustainable at the Tourism and Transport Forum this week. I outlined the urgent need to fix transport in NSW and our work building Sydney's cycleway network. These meetings are important in helping building a network of people understanding our work and pushing for action on transport.
I was one of thousands of people who took part in activities to mark Ride to Work Day on Wednesday. The City of Sydney's Ride to Work Day Breakfast, held in Hyde Park South, highlighted the dramatic increase we've seen in the number of people choosing to take advantage of our bike network. I encourage you to come down to Pirrama Park on Sunday to talk part in our Family Fun Day from 9:30.
I have a great "park" weekend coming up and hope to see you at one or more of the following:
- Coulson Street, Erskineville Community Information Session: Saturday 15 October 11am to 1pm Proposed Pedestrian Link, Vacant Reserve, 2 Coulson Street Erskineville
- Closing event Sydney Rides Festival Pirrama Park: Sunday 16 October 9.30 to 3. A free family-focused day of fun and entertainment (I will be there at 9:30)
- Wentworth Park Games: Sunday 16 October from 11-2. Celebrate improvements to Wentworth Park, plus games competition, vintage mini-racing cars display and local history displays. (I will be there at 11)
- Sydney Park Consultation Day: Sunday 16 October 11am to 2pm Community Information Session. Sydney Park - adjacent to Kiosk area. (I will be there at 12:30)
- Residents Celebrate Backpacker Vans Win
- 1 Bligh Street Sets Benchmark For Design Excellence and Sustainability
- Why Not Go Green This Spring
- Floodplain Plans Get State Funding Boost
- Event Alert