I encourage community groups to consider applying for 2012 grant funds from the Community Building Funding program. The Sydney electorate has been allocated $300,000.
The funding is for building or upgrading local facilities and includes capital works, refurbishment, repairs and maintenance or buying capital equipment.
Applicants need to demonstrate how their project will benefit their local community through the building or improvement of facilities to deliver positive social, recreational or environmental outcomes. Projects must start by late 2012 and be completed before the end of March 2013.
2011 grants went to:
- Paving and disability access at St John's Anglican Church;
- The upgrade of the Australian Nursing Home Foundation community centre;
- An office fit-out for the Australian Seniors Computer Clubs Association;
- an upgrade and disability access at Woolloomooloo PCYC;
- A kitchen upgrade at Hopestreet;
- Rewiring and painting at Mission Australia Centre Surry Hills;
- A Stair Lift and telephone at Buckingham House;
- Building upgrades at EJ Ward Centre Paddington;
- Lighting and an enclosed learning area at Sydney Boys High School;
- A sewing room, deck and art centre at the William Booth House; and
- Kitchen, laundry, counselling and interview room upgrades at The Station homelessness service.
Applications can only be made online and close Monday 31 October.
- www.communitybuildingpartnership.nsw.gov.au or phone 1300 707 155.