(6pm, Friday 5 September 2014, Benledi Glebe)
Thank you, Mac [North, MC]. Hello, everyone.
I am very pleased to be here again to open the Glebe Art show which the City supports and which happens each year thanks not only to your artistic talent but also to the hard work and dedication of volunteers at every stage of the process.
This year, there are three new initiatives:
The Library is hosting a series of evening talks - Creative Glebe - and on Wednesday night (September 8) the main judge for the show, Ian Chapman, will talk about the judging process.
There is also - for the first time - a Glebe Art Walk, in which 15 cafes and businesses the full length of Glebe Point Road will host an artist and display their work for the duration of the Art Show.
The committee has printed 1,000 annotated maps with details of the venues and artists that are available from the cafes, from City libraries and from our website.
And finally, a Craft Market of local craftspeople's wares will be held in the Library grounds on the last day of the Art Show - Saturday September 13.
So once again, a very warm thank you to the many generous sponsors who make this possible:
- Glebe Chamber of Commerce for the Works on Paper prize
- Mac North of Futurepast heritage for the Painting prize
- Dr David Nguyen for the Youth prize
- The Glebe Society for the Character of Glebe prize
- Glebe Picture Frames for the People's Choice and two new sponsors
- Belle Property Glebe for the Photography prize and
- Eckersley's Art Supplies for providing three vouchers of $100 for art materials for runners-up in the Painting, Youth and Works on Paper prizes
- Tim Smith of Glebe Liquor Store
- Toxteth Hotel for the Art Walk maps and posters, and
- Mirvac for their generous contribution towards the catalogue and this evening's event.
Also a very big thank you to the Library staff, who are also keen supporters of this terrific event.
Glebe can be really proud of producing this wonderful show. Congratulations to everyone involved, and when this show finishes, I hope you'll come into the city centre to enjoy Art & About, which launches on the 19th.
Thank you, everyone, have a great night.