Grants Support Community, Cultural and Environmental Initiatives11 September 2011
Council recently approved grants totalling $964,444 to support 120 community, cultural and environmental initiatives.
They include support for community gardens, recycling and waste reduction projects, programs and events celebrating Chinese, Indian, Indonesian and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, projects promoting responsible pet ownership and initiatives which will help people with disabilities and young people to participate in the arts.
Among the grants awarded were:
- $5,000 towards a publication which will document and highlight the success of the Fraserstudios project over the last three years;
- $4,973 to help establish a Men’s Shed for retired men;
- $9,750 for the Recovery Bus Project, a resource for people diagnosed with a mental illness;
- $20,000 for a community legal education project aimed at reducing discrimination on the basis of disability in employment;
- $20,000 for Helping the Helpers, an education program for community workers to support them to resolve legal issues for clients;
- $5,000 towards a project to promote recycling and waste management in the local Korean resident community;
- $5,000 towards an outdoor adventure program targeting at-risk youth;
- $20,000 to help the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects undertake a pilot Street Works program which will transform underutilised spaces into creative and engaging places;
- $11,400 for Milk Crate Theatre which provides homeless and marginalised people the opportunity to tell their stories through theatre;
- $10,000 to the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Choir to celebrate its 20th anniversary;
- $20,000 towards continued development of the greenstrata.com.au; and
- $7,180 towards the extension of the Pyrmont Wildlife Corridor.
Council has begun advertising for a second round of local community grants this year in response to requests for more frequent opportunities to access funding.
Applications for the second round of Local Community Grants and Environmental Grants are currently open and will close at 6pm on Monday 19 September.
- Officers’ report, including full list of recommended grants and applications:www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Council/MeetingsAndCommittees/2011/Committees/150811/cultural.aspx
- Local Community Grants and Environmental Grants applications, current rounds:http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Community/GrantsAndAwards/Default.asp