Help for Strata Residents to Green Their Apartments23 September 2011
Apartment owners could save thousands of dollars each year in water and energy bills as part of a new program I launched on Tuesday night.
The Smart Green Apartments program helps Owners Corporations by providing sustainability assessments for individual buildings. The assessments identify opportunities to improve energy and water efficiency, provide recycling infrastructure within apartment buildings and help residents reduce household waste.
The pilot program is working with five apartment buildings, with plans to expand the program to up to 30 buildings. These case studies will then be shared with up to 700 apartment buildings across the City of Sydney.
The first 30 buildings participating in the program will receive:
Each MP is asked to provide comment on the applications. A Regional Panel and the Department of Premier and Cabinet recommends which grants should be funded and the Premier makes the final decision.
- subsidised building energy audits;
- subsidised water monitoring and water efficiency plans;
- waste and recycling assessments;
- costed options to green the building and make it more efficient; and
- knowledge and skills building.
The Smart Green Apartments compliments my Strata Legislation Amendment Bill, which will focus on simple changes to the current laws that will make a real difference to the lives of strata owners and residents. Changes being explored as part of my amendments include:
- ensuring up-to-date by-laws are available;
- banning developers also being the strata managing agent;
- improving transparency for management positions;
- ensuring the owner corporation receives notices;
- helping prevent overcrowding; and
- improving dispute resolution.
I hope this legislation will be ready to introduce to Parliament this year.
To find out more about the Smart Green Apartments program contact Melinda Cook, the City’s Sustainability Engagement Coordin