Work will soon start to restore the historic John Baptist Fountain in Hyde Park, near the corner of Park and Elizabeth Streets.
John Baptist was an entrepreneurial gardener who ran a market garden on 25 acres of land in Surry Hills in the nineteenth century. International visitors were impressed by the range and magnificent size of plants in Baptist's gardens which included aviaries and the fountain.
The fountain was created and installed in the Surry Hills gardens by the 1860s. John Baptist's son, John Baptist junior, took a keen interest in city parks and the fountain was donated to the Trustees of Hyde Park in 1888.
The fountain survived a period of major upheaval in the park during construction of the underground railway before being positioned in its current location sometime in the 1920s. It was photographed by prominent photographer Max Dupain in the 1950s.
Work to restore the fountain will start in February and take approximately six months.
- More information here on the City of Sydney website, click HERE.