The City is improving transport options for young people, the elderly and people living with a disability or who are socially disadvantaged.
Our aim is to give many more people access to high-quality, reliable transport - especially those who might otherwise be cut-off from shops, hospitals, essential services and their communities.
The City is working to double the amount of trips we currently provide, with over 80,000 trips each year proposed once services are up and running.
The City will also help community-based organisations to run services themselves - including the incredibly successful Village to Village buses.
The improvements will mean at least three new community transport services could be provided over the next four years, along with improved and expanded existing services, including:
- Two new three-day-a-week Village to Village Shuttles running between Dawes Point and Camperdown; and Rosebery, Alexandria and Erskineville;
- Expanding the existing Redfern to Glebe and Redfern to Woolloomooloo Village to Village Shuttles from two to three days a week;
- Retaining and expanding transport to Over 55s centres and other socialising destinations;
- Introducing personalised demand-responsive travel for those who have no other transport options;
- Retaining and expanding services for young people;
- Introducing shopping services for transport disadvantaged people who don't meet the Home and Community Care (HACC) program eligibility; and
- Creating a funding pool for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities;
- A new travel training program to help people maintain their independence and use public transport who may not be confident, experienced or know much about how to use the public transport network; and
- A new information service providing a one-stop-shop for information on all community transport services in the one place.
I hope these improvements will connect more members of our community and provide a welcome boost for local small businesses.