"This project was a disaster all along. The community was outraged, and the Auditor General's report shows they were right," the Lord Mayor said.
"The independent Auditor General's report shows Tibby Cotter was badly handled, chronically mismanaged and came in way over budget wasting millions of dollars."
"By stuffing up the much smaller Tibby Cotter project, this report raises serious questions about Duncan Gay's ability to manage the massive $15 billion WestConnex project."
"The Auditor General states that the government 'never clearly demonstrated that the walkway should be built' - this is exactly what has happened with WestConnex."
"As he did with Tibby Cotter, Duncan Gay has been trying to push through WestConnex without a business case. The oversight and governance provided by his office is clearly inadequate - it's time for a thorough review."
"Taxpayers should not have to pay for Duncan Gay's mistakes."
"Before any other contracts are signed Duncan Gay needs to explain why he is building it when:
- It won't improve access to CBD jobs as 89 per cent of Western Sydney workers commute to the city on overcrowded public transport;
- It doesn't align with the State Metropolitan Strategy to create job opportunities in Western Sydney and transport links to them;
- It won't help transfer freight from Port Botany and Sydney Airport to Western Sydney - as critical linking roads are unfunded;
- It doesn't take into account Badgerys Creek Airport;
- According to SGS modelling it will increase traffic on Parramatta Road by up to 25 per cent and could jeopardise the renewal of the road; and
- It will massively increase congestion in inner city areas such as Newtown, St Peters, Green Square, Alexandria, Waterloo, Redfern and Erskineville.
MEDIA CONTACT: Matt Levinson 0499 319 385 or firstname.lastname@example.org