(8pm, Sunday 2 February 2014, Sydney Town Hall)
Hello, everyone, welcome to the City's 2014 Chinese New Year Twilight Parade.
Tonight I especially acknowledge our Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese communities.
I also welcome:
- His Excellency Ma Zhaoxu, Ambassador of the People's Republic of China in Australia
- His Excellency Li Huaxin, Consul-General of the People's Republic of China in Sydney
- Representatives of the Ministry of Culture in China who have brought this wonderful team of over 300 participants from China
- The Hon Victor Dominello, MP, Minister for Citizenship and Communities, representing the Premier of New South Wales
- Festival Ambassadors, Claudia Chan Shaw, William Yang and Chui Lee Luk
- City of Sydney Councillors
- The China Cultural Centre in Sydney
I'd like to thank:
- the People's Republic of China in Australia
- the Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Sydney
- the Ministry of Culture of the People's Republic of China;
- the China Cultural Centre in Sydney
- our Major Sponsors, The Star, Medibank and AYAM
- our Media Partners, ABC, SBS, 2DayFM and TVBA
- our Government Partner, the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
- our Support Sponsors, Sydney Airport, Telstra and BMW Dealership Group Sydney
- our Corporate Sponsors, National Australia Bank, China Southern Air, Slater and Gordon and Urban Walkabout
- the Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese community groups, arts organisation and individuals,
- members of the Chinese New Year Festival Advisory Group
- Festival Director, Gill Minervini; and
- Finally to the City of Sydney Event Team who work tirelessly throughout the year to bring this festival to you.
This year we celebrate the Year of the Horse. Wood horses are strong and stable and good decision-makers.
There is a wonderful parade about to start, and I hope you all enjoy the projections lighting George and Harbour Streets and the fireworks.
Happy Chinese New Year, everyone! Kung Hei Fat Choy!