We want your ideas on improving the Harbour Village North area - a unique historic precinct that includes Millers Point, Dawes Point, Walsh Bay, The Rocks and Barangaroo.
Council recently unanimously agreed to publicly exhibit the draft Harbour Village North Public Domain Study - a bold vision for Sydney's harbourside precinct.
Breathing new life into an area of our city that has so much potential, while protecting its unique attributes is a real challenge. We're also sensitively planning ahead for the many changes that will come with the city's biggest urban renewal project at Barangaroo.
And we want to encourage post theatre venues and attractions so that people will want to stay local after attending shows in the Walsh Bay cultural hub.
Some of the proposed improvements to support the area include:
- Improved access and connectivity;
- Memorable streets and spaces;
- Wider footpaths to encourage outdoor dining and street activation;
- Encourage short term/affordable leases for artist studios/galleries;
- Strengthening local communities and supporting local economies; and
- Artistic lighting of sandstone cliffs and walls.
The Harbour Village North study complements the City's Cultural Ribbon project by linking local sites like a harbourside cultural walking trail from Barangaroo to the Walsh Bay cultural precinct and the Museum of Contemporary Art and beyond.
12 actions and several projects are identified in the Draft Study, with early work on some projects currently underway to coordinate with work already being undertaken by the Roads and Traffic Authority and the Barangaroo Delivery Authority.
A community workshop to discuss the Draft Study is being held at Simmer on the Bay, 2/3 Walsh Bay, 13 Hickson Road, Dawes Point, on Wednesday 20 July 2011 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. Everyone who attends will have the chance win a double pass to the New Year's Eve viewing area at Dawes Point.
Public submissions on the draft plan close on Friday 5 August 2011.
- Harbour Village North Public Domain Study Consultation Draft documents: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Council/OnExhibition/DraftHarbourVillageNorthPublicDomainStudy.asp
- Harbour Village North Public Domain Study Consultation Draft community meeting: Wednesday 20 July 2011 from 6.30 to 8.30pm, Simmer on the Bay, 2/3 Walsh Bay, 13 Hickson Road, Dawes Point.