Vital community services will be harder to access as Australia Post pushes on with plans to close two iconic Post Offices which have served their communities for over a century.
Without any prior consultation and limited notification, Australia Post announced late last year that the post offices, in Queen Street, Woollahra and Glebe Point Road, Glebe, would close in February.
I strongly oppose Australia Post's decision to close these Post Offices, and share the community's concern at the loss of these important local facilities.
While Australia Post has cited falling customer numbers to justify the closures, a recent study carried out by consulting firm Taktics4 revealed that the Glebe Post Office is a major tenant within that village. Loss of such a tenant would have major implications for businesses in Glebe.
Removal of these services would be a significant loss of amenity for local residents, many of whom are elderly and who find it difficult to access banking and other services so use the local post office to pay their bills.
I have written to the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Conroy urging him to stop the impending closures, which have strong community opposition. In response the Minister has asked Australia Post to 'review' its decision.
Add your voice to calls to retain the Glebe and Woollahra Post Offices by writing to Senator Conroy, Australia Post Chairman Mr David Mortimer, and Managing Director and CEO, Mr Ahmed Fahour,
Come along to the Don't Close Glebe Post Office rally on Thursday 20 January, sign the Save Woollahra Post Office petition, and help ensure community access to local postal services.
- Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy: firstname.lastname@example.org or Senator, the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600.
- Mr David Mortimer, Chairman Australia Post GPO Box 9911, Melbourne VIC 3001
- Mr Ahmed Fahour, Managing Director and CEO Australia Post GPO Box 9911, Melbourne Victoria 3001
- Don't Close Glebe Post Office rally on Thursday 20 January, 10am outside the Glebe Post Office, 181A Glebe Point Road.
- The Save Woollahra Post Office petition is available to sign in many shops in Woollahra Village.