The Department of Planning has directed the City of Sydney to change proposed planning controls within the Ashmore Precinct before placing the new draft City Plan on exhibition. The City will hold a community briefing at Erskineville Public School on 29 March to explain the changes.
The changes, for two adjacent sites at 57 Ashmore Street and 165-175 Mitchell Road, include:
- increasing the floor space ratio from 1.75:1 to 2.75:1;
- increasing maximum building heights at 57 Ashmore Street from 35m to 60m (from 9 storeys to 19 storeys) and;
- increasing building heights at 165-175 Mitchell Road from 25m to 60m (from 7 to 19 storeys).
Council's research indicates that the changes will have a significant detrimental impact on the area, including high density towers, increased traffic, loss of regional views, and significant overshadowing.
At the briefing next week, the City will present its proposed planning controls and the impacts of the changes. The landowner, Goodman, will also make a presentation to explain the rationale for the changes they are seeking.
The City Plan Draft Local Environmental Plan and Draft Development Control Plan are on public exhibition until 4 April 2011.
- Ashmore Precinct Community Meeting: 6.30pm to 7.30pm, Tuesday 29 March Erskineville Public School, Malcolm Street, Erskineville (entre via Malcolm Street).
- Ashmore Fact Sheet: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/FactSheet_Ashmore.pdf
- City Plan Information: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Development/CityPlan/Default.asp