This week I was delighted to host a luncheon at Town Hall to celebrate the work of local businesses who are participating in the prestigious NSW Business Chamber Awards.
Eight small to medium-sized businesses have been selected regional as finalists in the 'excellence in small business' category, which the City is sponsoring.
These businesses have achieved significant growth and success and the Awards give them an opportunity to raise their profile, expand their networks and showcase their talents on the state-wide stage.
Nurturing local businesses is essential to ensuring Sydney's continued economic success, and I applaud the finalists for their forward-thinking and hard work.
The City provides lots of support to our 18,000 small to medium-sized businesses, who together contribute more than $40 million to the economy every year.
Our support has helped the business community weather the impacts of the global financial crisis. The workforce in the City of Sydney has grown by 13.6 per cent - or extra 52,306 workers - since 2007, according to the City's latest Floor Space and Employment Survey.
Over the past five years, 40 per cent of all job growth across metropolitan Sydney has taken place in the City's LGA, with the number of businesses growing by 2,065, or 10.5 per cent.
This growth is particularly strong outside the city centre, with Pyrmont and Ultimo recording a 46 per cent jump in jobs, while the area around Glebe had a 38 per cent rise in employment and Chinatown and Haymarket rose by 23.4 per cent.
The winners of the regional awards from each part of NSW will compete to win the NSW Business Chamber State Awards which take place in November this year.
The finalists in the South East Sydney Region awards are:
- The Explainers - a digital communications studio in Darlinghurst
- E-CORP - an infrastructure solutions business based in Sydney
- Glebe Family Medical Practice - a previous City of Sydney business award-winner
- Fourth Wall - a creative production agency in Waterloo
- Opal Minded - specialists in Opal jewellery based in The Rocks
- Urban Vision Group - a Newtown-based building firm
- The Recruitment Alternative - a recruitment company operating in Marrickville
- Gallop Solutions - offering business training programs and tools in Leichhardt
I congratulate all the businesses and Chamber of Commerce who took part in the Awards and wish the finalists the best of luck.