Council unanimously adopted a car share policy to support and grow car share use in the City following strong support from the community during public exhibition,.
Car share is a convenient, cost effective and sustainable transport option which enables people to avoid costs of owning a car and have a choice of vehicles when they need one. One car share vehicle can replace up to ten private vehicles that would otherwise compete for local parking space.
The car share policy, developed through public consultation, aims to:
- Use street parking more efficiently;
- Reduce City greenhouse emissions;
- Support the City economy;
- Reduce congestion; and
- Slow growth in private vehicle ownership.
The City received 274 submissions on the draft car share policy, with most being overwhelmingly positive and only six not supporting the policy.
- Car share with the City of Sydney: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/CarShare.asp
- Car Sharing Policy: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Council/FormsPoliciesPublication/Policies.asp - scroll down to Car Sharing Policy