There was no increase in City advertising in the lead up to the state election.
A large proportion of the City's advertising is required for statutory reasons, such as public tenders and public consultations. Under the Local Government Act the City has a duty to inform the community of council policies and decisions.
The Streetshare campaign was unanimously endorsed by all Councillors and aimed at educating all road users - motorists, bike riders and pedestrians - on sharing the street. It is part of a long running educational program which began in May last year.
Lord Mayor's salary
It is public knowledge that all Mayors are paid Councillor fees in addition to Mayoral fees. These fees are set by the Local Government Remuneration Tribunal and publicly reported on.
I retain the fee of $31,930 I receive as a Councillor and since 2004 have chosen to donate my annual Lord Mayoral fee to charity ($159,318 for 2010/11). This is public information available on the City's website and annual report.
The total donations from my Lord Mayoral Salary Trust equal about $953,000 since I was elected in 2004. Some of the many charities that have received grants include:
- Sydney Story Factory - to promote literacy among children by encouraging a love of words and stories
- St Vincent's Hospital - to establish, facilitate and support recovery and training in mental health and provide education for carers and the community about mental health issues
- The Wayside Chapel - to support programs for homeless people in Kings Cross
- The Foundation for Young Australians - to support young Aboriginal people studying law, criminal justice and related subjects
- Bobby Goldsmith Foundation - to support projects helping people living with HIV and AIDS.
The Trust funds projects that enable people who are mentally ill, drug and alcohol dependent or socially disadvantaged to rebuild their lives; assist homeless people or young people at risk; promote animal welfare; or promote community environmental and sustainability initiatives.
It focuses on innovative projects that make a practical difference with real outcomes.
Lord Mayor Clover Moore MP